Sunday, January 8, 2012

...and it’s only the beginning

Friday January 6: DAY ONE

So here I am! It’s the second day and I’ve already made Godly uplifting friends to last a lifetime. Now for remembering all over 500 names! What else could I ask for than to be surrounded by people striving for the same purpose? Yesterday, (Friday January 6) we woke up around 6:30am to walk down to the an outdoor breakfast that consisted of 3 kinds of cereal, Oatmeal, Papaya, and Greek Yogurt. A nice variety. There are several different DTS schools, and I am apart of the one called Engage. I have 42 classmates that I have grown very fond of these past few days. After breakfast yesterday, we (the 42 of us) had class until lunch time. During those few hours we did brief introductions, went over island safety rules...etc. We went to lunch together, which consisted of sticky rice, some sort of chicken potluck, and PB&J for backup. It was filling, but most of all I enjoy fellowshipping with people at meal times. Looking for people I don’t know and sitting with them is so fun. Won’t take too long till I have met everyone that way! After lunch we met back in the classrooms, which is quite a walk with lots of hills from where my room is, good for the fitness, Not for the makeup or hairdo, haha. In our evening class we had some small group time and we prayed for each other, it was very bonding and it showed me that these people from all over the world are all here for the same reason. To learn about God, grow spiritually, and make a complete U-turn from dirty old habits. We’re all growing together, and cleaning up our acts together, which means lots of accountability and up-lifting! We did this until about 4:30 when we went to dinner. For dinner we had more sticky rice, chicken, and PB&J. After dinner we had the Hawaiian welcoming ceremony held in the outdoor covered arena sort of thing, where they presented all the flags of the countries represented here. You wouldn’t believe all the different cultures I am living with! There are people literally from everywhere, I love the diversity! At the ceremony, they also had hula dancers perform, and a man dancing with fire! After all the excitement of introducing us to their culture, Lauren Cunningham, the founder of YWAM got up and spoke about the founding and building of the campus and program. We ended the ceremony with heart-throbbing worship. After this, a few of my new friends (Saida, Destiny, Ben, and Ricky) and I walked to the nearest Walmart, my pepper spray in hand at all times, haha. It was about a mile up-hill, we had a good bonding time. After picking up a few necessities we walked back in the rain and stopped by the outdoor market-place on our way back to campus. We looked around and the sat by the water and listened to the waves for a moment. It was dark out, but still breath-taking. Saida is one of my 6 roommates, and we made it back to our room a little after midnight. But it felt much later keeping in mind the 5 hour time difference. Needless to say, I crashed on my pillow almost immediately. And that was the end of the first, very long yet exciting first day!!

Saturday January 7: DAY TWO
I woke up with morning around 5am due to the jet lag, so I laid in bed and rested until 7. We went to breakfast and waited in the longest line I have ever seen, luckily it moved pretty quickly. After a short breakfast my class met up and went on a scavenger hunt! We broke up into teams of 6 and were given a list of 19 pictures to take at different places in creative ways. I had a blast! My team was awesome, we had 5 girls and 1 luck guy;). So basically we had some pretty fun a goofy stuff on our list, for example-- take a picture of the whole group IN the campus fountain, a picture jumping off the pier into the water, and climbing a tree..etc. It was so fun, but very hot! I’m hoping I got a little sun on my negative vitamin-D skin. We finished our game at 12:30 and went back to our rooms for a little free time. I took a refreshing shower, although the power went out while I was in there, of course! My class met again at 4pm to go grill-out on the beach!! Thess few days have been fun and full, but I know starting Monday things will get more intense and even crazier! It’s just the beginning of a long spiritual journey that I am so blessed to be apart of. I know I am where I’m supposed to be, and God is already beginning to soften my heart towards Him and bring people in my life that are in the same season as me. I couldn’t be happier.

No comments: