Sunday, January 8, 2012

Why am I attending YWAM?

 WHY am I attending YWAM?
     I know that I am just one person… And I honestly don’t feel I have much to give. But all I do know is that I’m broken, used, confused, and very much damaged. I do know that I want to help people and I also know that I have a calling bigger than merely focusing on “me”. And I do know that joining YWAM will help me to get my focus off me and on others. I got accepted a few days ago. When I had applied they were already full for the January team, but they prayed about it and also felt I needed to be there, so by God’s grace they pulled a few strings for me! 
Fun story—last week when I was packing up my dorm room at the University of Mary Hardin Baylor, I found a fortune cookie fortune behind the dresser. I thought it was weird considering I hadn’t eaten any Chinese food all semester! It read: “There is always time to find a new path in life”. This was comforting and sort of a unique conformation for me that it was okay to leave school and join YWAM. I had been a little nervous about it bearing in mind this will be my third year in a row to switch colleges, and thought maybe I should just settle down. But this cookie made things a lot better. ;-) 
What’s NEXT?
     I leave for the main training base in Kona, Hawaii January 5th! I will be there for three months working on my degree as well as training for the mission field. I took a sneak peak at the schedule, and they are keeping us very busy! Breakfast in the early morning, bible studies, small groups, numerous classes, and in the afternoon we will do some sort mission work on the island. After the three months, my team and I will take a three-month missions trip to a foreign country and do ministry work. I will keep you guys posted on all that is happening and where I am. I want all my friends and family to be involved in what God is doing in my life and those around me. 
How can YOU help? 
    Your PRAYERS are most appreciated. Lord knows I will need them. Being overseas for such a long time away from my family and comfort zone, your prayers and support will be most appreciated. I will post my exact address before I leave so if you’d like to help out in any way you feel led and send me letters I would love to hear from you! I enjoy hearing from my family and friends and want more than anything to stay in contact.    
Like I said, I will keep you all posted on where I am and what’s happening as often as possible! 
    
“I have but one candle of life to burn, and I would rather burn it out in a land filled with darkness than in a land flooded with light.” --John Keith Falconer 
    

No comments: